The Foodbank Fruit and Vegetable Program allows the whole horticulture industry and supply chain to donate fruit and vegetables to families who are doing it tough. Annually fruit and vegetables account for more than a third of our total volume, which is very important for the communities we are helping.
In addition to helping provide nutritious fruit and vegetables, this program also provides the fruit and vegetable industry with a viable and sustainable option for managing waste and products that may be out of specification, helping to reduce the amount of edible produce unnecessarily going to waste or landfill.
With a Foodbank in every state and territory and a presence at each state wholesale market, donating fruit and vegetables to Foodbank is easy!
Frequently asked questions:
We work proactively with our donors, industry partners and supply chain partners to raise awareness and help make Foodbank front of mind should a product or produce be:
- not to specification
- incorrectly labelled
- rejected from wholesalers
- rejected from retailers
We also work closely with the retailers to capture products, including their private label products, should they be rejected at a distribution centre. You’ve worked hard to produce the product. The last thing anyone wants to see is it going to waste.
- Over or under temperature
- Over or under-ripe
- Over or underweight
- Blemished or damaged
- Incorrectly labelled
- In incorrect or faulty packaging
- Damaged pallets
- Over supplied
Fresh produce donations must be free of breakdowns, mould or rot and be within their best before or use-by date.
- One-off product donations
- A regular donation of a defined quantity at a set frequency, determined by the donor
- A seasonal donation that lasts for the season
- Anytime you have a product available, for whatever reason
- Supporting your industry: You can be confident that your fruit and vegetable donations go to people who need a helping hand in your community.
- Foodbank is a registered, not-for-profit charity organisation with DGR status. All donations to Foodbank can receive a Tax Donation Receipt for the weight and description of the good donated.
- The process is simple, transparent and fulfilling.
We are incredibly thankful for all of the past, current and future fresh produce donors, and we couldn’t do what we do or provide the variety of high-demand products without your involvement and vital support.
National fruit and vegetable program partners