Meat is commonly one of the first grocery items to come off any household’s shopping list during times of financial stress and unfortunately this occurs too often for low-income families, the elderly, students and people with disabilities who are experiencing or battling with food insecurity.
Meat is both an important part of a balanced diet and an important source of protein, which is why it is so important for families to have access to, no matter what their financial situation.
Traditionally meat is not a product that comes to Foodbank in any significant volume or frequency via food rescue channels so the Foodbank Meat Program plays an incredibly important part in allowing Foodbank to support those families and individuals who otherwise may have gone without.
In order to have access to a regular and reliable source of meat protein to distribute to those in need, Foodbank, along with a number of key supply chain partners successfully developed and implemented the Collaborative Supply Program model. Our collaborative supply meat program currently produces approximately 1 million fresh sausages per year.
Foodbank provides food to over one million people each month with more than 30% of our total volume going back out into regional areas, all industry stakeholders are encouraged to join the program and do their bit to allow all Australians access to wholesome local meat products. Currently the meat program produces sausages, yet we are always exploring sustainable opportunities to expand to other products such as mince and patties and explore other meat sources such as pork and chicken.
How the meat program works
From producers with livestock, to stock feed suppliers, transporters, processors, manufacturers, to packaging, carton and label suppliers – we have a need for you.
There are several ways to support the Foodbank meat program along the supply chain – from donating livestock to processing, donating trim to our existing program, supporting with the processing and or value add process, donating finished meat products, donating or supporting with the cartons, packaging or transport components. Contributions can be regular or one-off, large or small. All will help provide a vital source of protein to people who would otherwise go without.
Through simplicity and involving supplier’s right along the supply chain, it ensures both transparency and sustainability of the program. We are incredibly thankful for all of the past, current and future program partners as we simply couldn’t do what we do or provide the variety of high demand products without your involvement and vital support.
The benefits of donating
- Supporting your industry: Donors become part of an established and incredibly positive meat industry collaboration involving producers, processors, manufacturers and transporters.
- Supporting local communities: Donors are helping provide a valuable source of protein to those who may otherwise go without
- Strong return on investment: Foodbank’s relationships right along the food industry supply chain means we can leverage a return of 1:5.16 for each dollar equivalent that is donated and provide more food to those in need.
- Tax Donation Receipt: Foodbank as a registered charity also provides the donor with a Tax Donation receipt for the weight and description of the product
- Foodbank operates and adheres to all food safety and handling standards and regulations,
- All of our warehouses and operations have commercial or industrial refrigeration and freezer capacity and infrastructure
- Foodbank maintains cold chain right through out and only distributes frozen or chilled products to charity partners who also have audited and adequate chilled and frozen capacity and infrastructure and/or cooking facilities.
Input ingredients partners
To discuss how your farm, team, organisation or industry group could get involved or support an existing meat program, or even help set up a new meat supply chain program, contact with Jacqui Payne, Foodbank, National Program Manager – Agriculture via email or by calling the office on (02) 9056 7035
Getting involved in this innovative supply chain that ensures a regular source of protein for Australians was an easy decision to make, we really wanted to be part of it. We’re proud of our team and the role we are able to play via this program.
– Julie McDonald, Chief Financial Officer, MDH Pty Ltd
OUR FAMILY AND STAFF ARE PROUD WE CAN WORK WITH THE INDUSTRY AND FOODBANK TO BE PART OF THE EXPANSION OF SUCH A VALUABLE PROGRAM.
THIS IS A PLEASING ADDITION TO OUR LONG ASSOCIATION WITH FOODBANK IN AUSTRALIA
– Roger Fletcher, Managing Director, Fletcher International Exports
THOMAS FOODS INTERNATIONAL IS A FAMILY OWNED COMPANY. WE ARE DELIGHTED TO BE HELPING FOODBANK REACH FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS IN THEIR TIME OF NEED BECAUSE, THAT’S WHAT FAMILIES DO!
– Darren Thomas, CEO, Thomas Foods International