Cheap and healthy recipe ideas: Cabbage Pancakes
We asked the one and only Simon Toohey, MasterChef finalist, for some low-cost, low-waste nutritious recipe ideas. We love these!
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 200gms flour
- 100mls milk
- 100mls water
- ½ an onion, diced
- ½ cabbage, finely diced
- 2 slices of bacon, diced (optional)
- 100gms Tasty cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Chop the bacon up into small pieces. Fry the bacon in some oil until crisp, take out to drain.
- Blend the flour, milk and water together until it is a paint like consistency.
- Chop the cabbage into quarters from the stem then shred 2 of the quarters. Place the cabbage in the batter mixture.
- Chop onions into small rounds and put into the batter mixture.
- Add a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- With the pan on high, add 20ml of oil. Add a ladle of the mixture to the hot pan and cook until one side is golden. Flip the pancake and do the same on the other side.
- Top with tasty cheese, salt and other toppings of your choice.
- Cabbage is one of the oldest vegetables in the world is jam-packed with vitamin c. In fact, one serving of cabbage will provide you with around 85% of your daily required vitamin c intake.
VIEW MORE RECIPES