Cheap and healthy recipe ideas: Eat Your Greens Salad
Looking for some delicious, low-cost recipes to whip up at home? We asked our in-house nutritionist Emma (who also looks after our Schools Food Literacy Program) to share some of her healthy, wallet-happy recipe ideas.
Eat Your Greens Recipe
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 4 cups any green vegetable (broccoli, beans, kale, spinach, beet greens, cabbage, brussel sprouts).
- Small piece fetta (100 grams).
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed.
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard.
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced.
- In a mug combine olive oil, lemon, garlic and Dijon. Set aside.
- Cut all green vegetable into same sized; medium-to-large chunks.
- Fill saucepan with water to just below the base of a steamer basket. Bring water to the boil.
- Transfer vegetables to steamer basket. Steam, covered, for 2-4 minutes until vegetables are crisptender.
- Place vegetables into large bowl. Crumble over fetta and drizzle over dressing. Serve warm.
- Broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse full of vitamins, minerals, fibre and antioxidants. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, with just 1/2 cup of cooked broccoli providing 84% RDI of Vitamin C.